Friday, November 23, 2012

Eating healthy food is not a guarantee for Acne-free skin

The challenge

I started going vegetarian on 2001 when I joined a mountaineering club when I was in college. I had a group of friends’ who were also vegetarians. I became attracted to their lifestyle and I find it cool at that time.


Mountaineering Photos rastaman
Mountaineering Photos IMG-2046

I also joined a community of straight edge people because I never knew that there is an existing community like that.

Straight edge is a community of individuals who resist from eating meat, drinking alcohol, sex and drugs.

Mountaineering Photos Me at Mt Maculot 1
I admit it was hard. Imagine giving up my usual food which is hamburger and bacon? But I consider it as a challenge. I love facing challenges that is why I joined the mountaineering group.

Mountaineering Photos cooking myself

I was forced to learn cooking specially how to cook for my own food.

Nurture Spa Village Tagaytay IMG_0881

Because I have no knowledge in cooking at all I only eat fresh fruits and vegetables which I am familiar with. I admit that I do not know all the vegetables in the song  ‘Bahay Kubo’.

Brocolli, okra and avocado became my favorite food. Tofu and mushrooms were my favorite meat substitutes. I love eating green leafy vegetables.

Tofu-tile

I learned to cook because of mountaineering. I was forced to do so because nobody would want to do it for me unless I am with my fellow vegetarians.

Unfortunately my fellow vegetarian friends were also lazy to cook food. So I really took the initiative to do everything in the kitchen. In fact I even did the marketing until I am already enjoying doing these things.

Giving up meat. Again it is not easy…it takes time and patience.

The first thing that I gave up was beef, eventually I was able to give up pork. Had a second thought if I will give up chicken but fortunately yes.

I was able to give up sea foods because I didn’t like the taste of fish.

 

Would a balanced diet/healthier lifestyle help me feel better?

The good thing about being vegetarian is you develop control and discipline. It is not easy changing diet especially for us Filipinos who are very conditioned to meat. But it becomes easy because there’s plenty of market and talipapa here.

Anyway here’s what I did why I was able to give up meat and remained a vegetarian.

Give up eating beef . This is not hard , because you can still eat pork, chicken and fish. So do this for a month or two. Just make sure that you don’t eat beef anymore straight for a month.

Give up eating pork . When you can now give up beef, it’s time that you give up pork. You can still eat chicken and fish. It is easier to give up, knowing that pork is the primary cause of diseases. And we all know that it makes us fat since it is very high in bad cholesterol. Do this for a month or two. Just make sure that you don’t eat pork anymore straight for a month.

Give up eating chicken. What’s wrong with eating chickens ? Well there’s a lot, but anyway you will soon can give up eating chicken. Maybe this will be hard for you so do this for two months or more , but make sure to give up eating chicken soon.

I admit that I had a hard time doing this.

Do give up eating beef, pork and chicken in a year or two and it will be easier for you to go vegetarian or vegan. Don’t make it hard for you, there will always be an easier way that will help you achieve your goal. If you can adjust the timeline of your goal then it’s ok.

Going vegetarian does not end on giving up the food that you are conditioned to eat, it involves correct mindset, positive thinking, proper hygiene and a healthier lifestyle.

Mountaineering Photos Me at Mt Maculot

Though I’m not active anymore in mountaineering activities I remained being vegetarian….and my friends? I heard they went back to meat eating. I cannot explain it up to the deepest level but I can say that I feel better now.

Mountaineering Photos I have pimples
But did my being vegetarian really made my skin acne free at all? Not

Does eating healthy food important in managing acne?

Yes it is important but it is not a guarantee that you will not have acne or pimples. I myself experienced having pimples despite of eating only healthy food.

Eating healthy food alone does not keep you away from acne, it should be  a combination of healthy living and eating the right food.

What are the ways to avoid acne?

  • Rest! Get enough sleep. At least 8 hours a day.

  • Hydrate. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day

  • Regularly wash your face with soap and water.

  • Exercise at least 2-3 times a week 30 minutes a day. Try some Yoga or Pilates

  • De-Stress. Go to spa or watch a movie. Chill with friends.

  • Add your intake of fruits and vegetables.

  • Be involved in Sports and Recreation.

  • Get a hobby. Like learning Photography.

  • Swimming can also help achieving a relax body and mind.

  • Visit your dermatologist regularly.

  • Get some wacky shot!


Taking care of yourself (and your skin) and at the same time eating healthily is important in managing acne.

No comments:

Many Benefits of Healthy Lifestyle

After many years of staying at home and starting to adopt the new normal, finally nakapag fun run and recreation ulit. And it's good to ...

Blog Archive